Inventories of web-sites
- In these, web-sites are listed by themes and categories. It is often possible to search by word through all the sites listed or through just the sites belonging to a particular category.
- The great advantage is that they provide a larger context or overall view for the search.
- To be listed, all you have to do is subscribe. It is completely free.
They are often very badly sorted!
- But they have three main disadvantages.
- Only those who subscribe are included.
- There is no proper co-ordination of the attribution to the various categories, nor of the titles for the alphabetic sorting. So they are badly put together. Therefore if you wish to make your searches as precise as possible, don't forget abut the "word" search facility.
- A home page of no real interest has the same weighting as a large, important site and rather more weighting than single pages of such a site that may be far more important and informative, but which have no separate listing. Happily, sub-divisions of sites are sometimes accepted for inclusion.
Concerned with the French Web. Often better-sorted and richer than Yahoo France.
The inventory of France Télécom, in French of course, is a little complicated, and changes too often. However its content is good.
Arguably the pioneer Internet guide, Yahoo has been accepting submissions since what seems like the beginning of it all. There's an editorial filter at work here - not every college student's home page makes it into the directory - but Yahoo's veteran status has allowed it to build a comprehensive cross-discipline resource base.
Yahoo ! France
The French version of Yahoo, concerned with French web-sites.
If you find any mistakes
or wish to make a comment. Write to me. A.B.